15th May 2018
Dear Parents / Carers
I wanted to make sure you are aware of an incident today.
The Fire Service attended the Academy this morning and very efficiently removed a bottle of concentrated Nitric Acid from our chemical store which had been spilled. The chemical store is located in the Technician’s Office and therefore the students do not have access to this chemical store. As a precaution, site and science staff have sought medical attention but none have reported any symptoms.
Our Exams Officer has informed the Exams Board about the incident and they are aware that revision immediately prior to the exam was covered by teachers who are not the students’ main science teachers.
Whilst this incident took place in an area inaccessible to students, in the unlikely event that your child complains of feeling unwell we would recommend that you contact your local GP or phone 111 for advice.
I will be in contact with the Exam Board again later today and will keep in touch regularly with them to ensure that no student is negatively affected by the incident.
As ever, if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Thank you for your continued support.
Miss Claire Meakin