No one wants to hear about children being abused, neglected or unsafe and that sometimes makes it difficult to respond so- Remember these three important messages:
1. All children have a right to be safe no matter who they are or what their circumstances.
2. Keeping children safe is everyone's responsibility
3. We all need to listen to children even though we may not always be comfortable with what we hear.
Who Should I Talk To If I have Concerns About a Child? (link)
It doesn’t matter if you are a paid worker, a volunteer or a member of the community, you have a responsibility to act if you are worried about a child.
• Each agency will have someone who has a responsibility for child protection and safeguarding issues- they have had training to know what to do next.
• It is not your responsibility to investigate safeguarding concerns but you must tell the appropriate person. It will be this person’s job to decide what action to take next. If necessary they will speak to Children’s Social Care or the police. The police and social workers can then decide whether they need to investigate your concerns.
Cornwall Council 01209 615640 / 07891 840354 / www.cornwall.gov.uk
Penhaligons Friends 01209 210624 / 07977 466444 / www.penhaligonsfriends.org.uk
Outlook Southwest 01208 871905
Kooth 0845 3307090 / 07702 812 638 / www.kooth.com
Childline 0800 1111 / www.childline.org.uk
Cruse Bereavement Care 01726 76100 / firstname.lastname@example.org