Hours per week: 37 hpw
Weeks per year: 41.4 term time + 5 inset days + 12 additional days in the school holidays or as per the needs of the Academy
Grade PA11 £24,470 to £25,758 (pro rata) (£22,051 - £23,623)
Ultimately the Headteacher and directly to the Premises Manager
● To deliver an effective and efficient catering facility for all Pool Academy stakeholders, encompassing menu planning, budgetary control, stock management, and ensuring kitchen health and hygiene regulations are met
● To develop and progress the catering provision to deliver healthy and high quality meals that meet the National Nutritional Standards
● To support the aims of the Academy, ensuring that the philosophy of inclusion continues to be the experience of the pupils
● To lead, manage and deploy a team of catering staff to ensure the efficient organisation of the catering provision.
Strategy Direction and Development:
● To provide the strategic direction needed for the area to develop successfully
● To monitor, review and evaluate the catering provision to the school and its stakeholders
● To plan, control and direct the production and service of Academy meals, to develop termly three week cycle of menus, catering for all dietary requirements. This will include liaising with the student leadership team to build a sense of rapport and re-brand/promotion of the kitchen
● To work in collaboration with other schools demonstrating best practice to learn from and continually enhance catering provision at Pool Academy..
● To achieve best value without compromising on quality
● To be responsible for the performance of the whole Academy’s catering provision, including co-ordinating and overseeing in and out of school events catering e.g. conferences, PCF events, parent evenings, school productions and trips / visits.
● To negotiate best value contracts with authorised suppliers to ensure the cost effectiveness of the catering service
● To be accountable for leading, managing and developing the catering facility, undertake regular planning meetings with Premises Manager to move the Academy’s catering facilities forward
● To be accountable for inspections undertaken by LA, Environmental Health Inspector and external verifiers ensuring meeting the necessary Health, Hygiene and Safety requirements
● To be responsible for effective use of allocated funding, ensuring value for money
● To ensure the safety of all involved in the catering facilities, undertaking Risk Assessments as appropriate
● To inform the Premises Manager of any defects in heavy equipment or of premises not meeting Health & Safety and or Food Hygiene Regulation Standards
● In addition to the duties outlined above, all employees are required to take care of their own and other people’s health and safety.
Leading and Managing Staff:
● To supervise and deploy all catering staff to ensure the efficient organisation of the catering service, and deal with any staffing problems/issues that arise in consultation with the Premises Manager
● To ensure an appropriate level of sustainability within the staffing structure to enable the catering provision to be delivered in the absence of key personnel.
● To prepare and manage the duty rota for all catering personnel.
● To oversee the preparation, cooking and service arrangements.
● To supervise and deploy supervisors as necessary.
● To undertake Performance Management Reviews, acting as a reviewer for staff in the catering team.
● To continue personal professional development, researching, requesting and undertaking relevant training for all concerned.
● To promote teamwork and to motivate staff to ensure effective working relations and communication.
Efficient and Effective deployment of Resources:
● To manage the whole school catering budget and be accountable for ensuring that the business turn over, covers all associated costs commensurate with first class provision.
● To undertake day-to-day management, control and operation of the catering provision, including effective deployment of staff.
● To plan and manage the accommodation with the school catering facilities, using professional skill and judgement.
● To ensure the catering team are adhering to the Nutritional legalisation as defined by the Government.
● To maintain and keep accurate stock records for all provisions, light and heavy equipment
● To ensure cleaning on a daily basis to all catering and eating areas
● To be responsible for the accurate costs control of catering revenue and expenditure and the security of all monies
● To manage and instruct staff associated with finance administration
● To complete financial reports for the Governing body.
● To maintain authorised food stock levels and complete stock returns by the date required
● To undertake routine checks of equipment, cleaning material, stationery and uniform
● To ensure that the maintenance agreements for all equipment are current and arrange for the necessary checks at renewal
● To plan daily menus, making provision as appropriate for special food diets, and order stocks accordingly
● To ensure that delivery notes are checked against requisitions and any identified discrepancies are reported immediately to the supplier
● To be responsible for and ensure correct procedures for banking and reconciliation are met.
● To work with students from the Academy to build a sense of rapport and re-brand/promotion of the kitchen.
Health and Safety:
● To ensure adherence to all procedures related to Health and Safety and COSHH regulations with regard to food, equipment, materials and general safety
● To ensure the safe operation of kitchen equipment at all times
● To ensure that necessary repairs to kitchen equipment are reported immediately and repairs arranged, ensuring that unsafe equipment is taken out of use pending repair
● To ensure that all kitchen areas are clean and free from hazards
● To undertake regular Risk Assessments
● To ensure that all accidents and incidents are reported, including notifiable diseases
● To ensure the security of the catering areas at all times
● To be responsible for the regular inspection and maintenance of the First Aid box and arrange replenishment as necessary
● To ensure that all catering personnel maintain high standards of cleanliness, personal
hygiene and appearance.
To undertake any other duties that may be required for the effective operation of the catering establishment. This will include stock rotation, stock control and using any future cashless catering systems provided by the Academy.
This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post and will be subject to modification or amendment at any time after consultation with the post holder.
Pool Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The post will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.