We are rated “Requires Improvement” by OFSTED. All reports can be found here.
The report highlights the strong steps we are taking to provide students with high expectations for behaviour and learning and a high-quality education. In particular, Ofsted praised our work to ensure our “curriculum is becoming more ambitious” and our “classrooms are purposeful, and pupils can focus on their work.” Ofsted also praised our success in providing strong personal development opportunities and careers advice for our students, but the overall judgement was that the academy Requires Improvement.
Alongside this, the report has recognised the improvements our school has seen just one month after joining Athena Learning Trust, as part of our work to foster school improvement and strengthen education provision for our students. With support as part of the Trust, we have implemented ambitious and informed processes to bolster our education provision and support our students.
Inspectors were pleased with the work in progress from our school leaders and staff to strengthen the curriculum and student outcomes. We are clear about the improvements that need to be made and will be working hard to achieve these. I would encourage you to please read the full report, but a few key findings are below.
I am pleased that the inspectors also recognised a range of strengths of our academy, including:
- How we have “raised expectations for pupils’ behaviour and learning.”
- “Pupils feel safe at school and value the strong pastoral support they receive.”
- “Pupils learn in quiet and calm classrooms, and from a well-planned curriculum.”
- How our tutor reading programme is encouraging students to read outside of lessons.
- Our work to develop support for students with special educational needs and/or disabilities.
- Our strong work to support student personal development, including encouraging students to participate in Duke of Edinburgh Award and the Combined Cadet Force.
- Our career provision, with particular praise for our Year 10 work placements.
We have already put plans in place to continue on our positive trajectory including introducing focused ‘Raising Attainment’ plans, alongside targeted resources, so we ensure our students have the support they need to succeed in their learning. We have introduced extensive support plans and mentors for those who need additional provision and continue to promote and recognise the achievements of our students, through “Week @ Pool Academy” and “Proud of You” postcards, helping all children to feel motivated and encouraged by their time at school.
Like you, we have great ambitions for the success of all our students and we have the knowledge and resources to support them in fulfilling their potential. We will continue to do our very best for them and would like to thank you for your continued support in this.