Y11- English Department
As I am sure you are aware, your son/daughter has the opportunity to receive two GCSEs in English: English Language and English Literature. Your son/daughter has now completed the courses for both of these subjects.
It’s now time for revision: we need to a) revisit all the skills needed to enable the best level of responses for Language papers and b) revise all Literature texts.
How can you support your son/daughter?
1. Our new day for ‘Masterclasses’ is a Wednesday. Students are informed if they are required to attend because we believe they need extra, small-group support with specific elements of the course and you will receive a text message to inform you of this. If your child has not been told they have to attend, they are still welcome to do so. This is a session of one hour only to look at specific Assessment Objectives that they may have struggled with in a recent piece of practice exam work.
2. On Thursdays we have ‘Open Classrooms’ in English in order for students to revise independently. English teachers will be available for guidance and support.
3. Homework is an important part of progress and every student was issued with a booklet to aid revision in Literature before Christmas. Each class teacher will now be setting a task each week from this booklet to be handed in for marking.
How can we help you to support your son/daughter?
• We have created a ‘Parent Area’ for English under ‘Information for Parents’ on the Academy website. Here you will find example exam papers, mark schemes and some exemplar answers.
• The date of the next mock exam is Friday 9th March. This will be Paper 1: Shakespeare and pre-20th century text (either Frankenstein, A Christmas Carol, or Jekyll and Hyde.)
We look forward to seeing you at the next parents’ evening, but if for any reason you cannot attend and wish to speak about your son’s/daughter’s progress, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Head of English